Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The happy thanksgiving police

Ok, so I know I'm supposed to be in the holiday spirit and in the "mood"... but I'm not. Still sick as crap. Feel like a pile of shit. Sorry readers. I just can't get rid of this cough and I'm sure it's driving my co-workers crazy. The blowing of the nose, the reaching of a tissue every 5 seconds and sneezing in between, oh yeah not to mention the unstoppable and annoying coughing. Unfortunately, my voice came back, so now I have to answer the said co-workers.

It gets worse. Someone in my office stopped and asked, "what kind of turkey do vegetarians eat?" Yes, I know you're probably all wondering, WTF? Is this person for real? Yes. Did this person ask me in front of the entire office? Yes. Did this person mean tofurkey? No, she doesn't know the existence of tofu.

So, now you know what I go through every freakin' holiday. Really, I don't understand why almost every person in every place I've ever worked in has made me a national spokesperson for vegetarians worldwide. And then while they got you, they might as well find out about everything else. Like your religion or lack of. Such as "I know you're Indian, but do you celebrate Thanksgiving? And, "would you be offended if I put up some Christmas decorations?" Like there's only one religion to go around 1 billion people. I mean besides being unprofessional, this was borderline retarded.

And these are the same people that when they are ordering pizza at work, they eat up all my veggie pizza first. I swear to you, this has happened on more than one occasion people! If I don't run and make a beeline for it at lunch, it will be all gone. Then I'll get to hear "it looked so good, i just wanted to try it", "i've never eaten anything vegetarian before" to "that was pretty good for being vegetarian, but next time I'll stick with the meat lover's?" Not one measly slice left. Happy Holidays folks.

9 comments:

Indian Food Rocks said...

Awww! I hope you feel better soon!

And skip that tofurkey, it wasn't that great! Might as well have something really good with tofu in it instead!

Ashwini said...

Hahaha.... that is pretty stupid! But cheer up.. its going to be a looong weekend and you don't have to see their faces for a while!

Alpa said...

Manisha - Thanks! I'm sure I will as soon as I leave work :)


Ashwini - Welcome! Ya, don't you love the holidays in whatever form they come?

Unknown said...

oh please get better soon!! Must be so annoying to be sick especially during this time of the year! heh...that man acted really dumb!! where do you work by the way?

Alpa said...

Fabi - welcome to my blog! Thanks so much! I work at university here in Finance. I don't get to wear gorgeous clothes like you :)

bee said...

welcome to the myopic world of morons. unfortunately there are more of them than most sane people can handle.

i'm sure you've come across those who say, "you speak very good english."

i like jai's response. "so do you".

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

Oh! Hope you are better now:-)
How about a cup of ginger chai;-)?

Arch

lulu said...

hola!
i have not been ill for a single day ever since i started drinking at least 2 to 4 litres of water a day. water therapy rocks. try it..
i used to be sick so often when i didnt drink enough water but i havent had a headache or a cold or fever for at least 8 months now.

Alpa said...

Bee - I know right, just like the ones who ask if you're born with that dot on your head, lol...


Arch - Can you please make me some in your beautiful mugs???? Actually, I have been drinking it twice a day and I do feel a little better today :)


Lulu- Hola! Welcome! Yes, I agree about the all the benefits of water. This is the first time I have gotten sick in over 5 years. I drink soooo much water. At work everyone wonders where I am constantly disappearing to... (in the loo)...shhhh