Monday, November 19, 2007

Sauteed cauliflower with red bell peppers



Feels like fall is slowly arriving. This is how I know...





My neighbor has huge pine trees whose branches overlook my yard. I usually welcome the extra shade in the summer. In the winter, it's another story. I want to go over and chop the trees down. The needles fall all over the cars, the driveway, the roof. They completely blanket the entire pond so when the fish try to eat their food, they get pine needles instead. I had to grab my handy long wooden branch and wrangle pine needles from one of my fish's mouth. Ahhhhhh! Somebody loan me an axe!

Since it did feel like fall in any case, I talked myself into craving something warm and toasty. I had half a cauliflower and a gorgeous red bell pepper. I think the combination of these two vegetables is just perfect. They're both mild and take in all flavors readily.

The main thing to keep in mind about this dish is that you don't want to overcook the cauliflower. It's turns to mush and the texture will be blah.

Serves 2-3
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min

Here's what to do:
  • heat up 2 tbspn oil in a wide saute pan
  • add panch phoron or: 1/2 tspn each of the following seeds: mustard, cumin, fenugreek, nigella and fennel
  • add chopped cauliflower, red bell pepper and salt
  • stir and cover for 5-7 minutes
  • add few slit green chilis and a tbspn each of garam masala and cumin powder
  • cover and cook until cauliflower is cooked through about 5 more minutes
  • squeeze lime and garnish with cilantro before serving

Notes: serve with roti or naan, rice and dal and find it in your hearts to forgive the Corelle :)

4 comments:

KayKat said...

Yum! Cauliflowers make me happy. And with red peppers, I'm even happier :)

Alpa said...

Kaykat - thanks! Yes, the colors are so pleasing to the eye :)

Red Chillies said...

This is the first time to yur blog and it looks colorful and yummy

Alpa said...

Red chillies - Welcome! And thanks for your sweet words!