Thursday, March 20, 2008

Navroz celebration

here is wishing the parsi community a very happy new year! and please write down your recipes people!!! i can't seem to say that enough. ah, but you will soon see the light my friends...

okay, so now with that out of the way - i was listening to public radio this morning on my way in to work, and what do you know? they had a special on Navroz, the Parsi New Year which occurs on the first day of spring. it was so touching and celebratory on so many levels. with family roots in bombay as well as being from the state of gujarat, this holiday is especially dear to me. for those of you who may not know, the parsi population is largely in the state of gujarat and in bombay.

i was saddened to hear that parsi cuisine is one of the most unknown cuisines in the world despite its origins emanating from 2 continents and expanding many countries. UNESCO has determined that only 75,000 parsis are in existence today and have started efforts to protect this dying culture. of course, being foodheads as we are, it is quite obvious that there will be no food if there is no culture and tradition being passed down.

after reading the
transcripts on NPR, i am now encouraged, as i hope you will be too, to put forth an effort in educating yourself on the rich parsi heritage while the the community is still intact. hey, and if you are really inclined, collect some fabulous recipes along the way.

oh, and did i tell you ms. famous chef, alice waters celebrates navroz in chez panisse? i mean really, what more motivation do you need?

now someone please pass me the dhansak and falooda! Happy Navroz guys!

Notes: my mom makes a mean falooda ice cream, which i will post this weekend hopefully!

9 comments:

ms said...

I didnt know it was the parsi new year. What fortuitous serendipity.I am making wafer per eeda - a parsi breakfast tomorrow.

Looking forward to your falooda recipe

Cynthia said...

This is the first time I am hearing of this cuisine and I am intrigued. I'll definitely be watching this space to see and read more about it. I'll try Google now and see what I can learn.

Alpa said...

MS - yes, it's actually on the 21st, as well as Holi! And all on Easter weekend! Isn't that just sweet?

Cynthia - Hi! Yes, they are a low key community and their numbers are low, so they are not known as well as some other ethnic groups outside of india. Thanks for stopping by! Happy Easter to you...

Dhivya said...

hey nice post!looking forward for ur falooda.....

Alpa said...

Dhivya - Hi there! Thanks, i will post it soon... i hope :)

ServesYouRight said...

I miss my Parsi friends from Bombay :-(

More power to Navroz,
Hugs,
Smita

Alpa said...

Smita - Hi there! I know so sad we're prob missing out on some good friends and food!

Jaya M said...

Alpa
Our knowledge about Parsi cuisine is very limited ..
I can only recollect parsi culture from some of the hindi Movies I have seen ..may be its high time we shud encourage this cuisine ..

Meanwhile I will be waitinfg for Dhansak and Faluda recipes...
hugs and smiles
jaya

Alpa said...

Jaya - Hi! Isn't it depressing that so many people do not know the parsi culture except for the typical Bollywood stereotypes? Will def post recipes soon. Thanks for stopping by!