- cut 2 small japanese eggplants, 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash in thin rounds onto a baking sheet, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and coat all the slices
- bake in a preheated oven at 375 deg for about 20-30 minutes or until cooked through
- meanwhile, dice one onion and 1/2 green and 1/2 red bell pepper and 4 cloves garlic - at this stage i also add finely diced green chillies for that indian heat ;)
- you're going to make 2 layers, so use half of everything in the first layer
- grease a large casserole dish with olive oil spray
- cover the bottom of the pan with some pasta sauce (about 1-2 cups)
- add half of the veggies you baked in the oven
- then add 1/2 of the diced onions, bell peppers, garlic and chillies if using
- sprinkle with italian seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder and fresh basil (optional)
- cover with a good mozzarella cheese (i used soy cheese)
- layer again starting with the pasta sauce and use up all the ingredients EXCEPT the cheese (add this in the final 5 minutes of baking)
- at this point you can either bake it covered in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or keep it in the fridge to bake off later
Notes: keep the casserole covered when you bake this and you may also want to line the bottom of your oven with foil as sometimes it tends to bubble over a bit. i also add about 1/2 cup of water in between the 2 layers, so the veggies don't dry out, but then again, i like mine really saucy, so it's probably just me!
variations that i've made of this in the past included using mushrooms, spinach and parmagiana cheese. you really can't go wrong and what a sneaky way to get everyone to eat their veggies!
Listening to: The Chemical Brothers, 'Dig your own hole' from their album, Dig Your Own Hole (1997).