Monday, November 22, 2010

Easy penne pasta


I know it doesn't really look like it's all that but it really was wonderfully creamy and tangy. It's not much of a recipe, but this is what I did...

I set a pot of 8 oz. (half a box) of whole grain penne to boil until al dente while I sauteed some mushrooms, garlic and onions for a few minutes. Then I added a tablespoon of flour and whisked it around for a minute or two, then added a cup of milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and Aleppo pepper. I let it thicken for a minute and then added about 3 oz. cream cheese (1/3 block). Then mixed it until creamy and finally added the drained penne back in and served with grated parmesan.

I loved this as it was so quick to prepare, but I think next time I am going to sautee asparagus and baby arugula along with the mushrooms and then put it in a baking dish and add some toasted bread croutons and broil it in the oven to get a crispy topping.

No comments: