Wednesday, April 13, 2011

10 minute pulao


Seems lately that I'm always in a rush.  Got a million things on my mind and anxious to hurry and do them all, lest I forget one.  I'm so forgetful!   So what's the easiest and most delectable thing to make in a few minutes that requires no attention or fumbling with a ton of chopping or ingredients?  

For me, this almost always involves my wondrous pressure cooker and rice. 

This amazing and easy pulao will feed 2 hungry people with some leftover for lunch the next day...
In your pressure cooker, heat some oil and:
  • throw in a couple of cloves, whole black pepper and a cinnamon stick (this step is optional) 
  • do a tarka (seasoning) by adding half a teaspoon of mustard and cumin seeds and a pinch of asafeotida... let the seeds pop and sizzle
  • add 1 1/2 cups rice and saute for a few minutes on low-medium.  Add half a teaspoon of garam masala and saute again for 2 minutes
  • add an optional diced potato and a handful of thawed peas and if you're like me - a huge chopped green chilli
  • add salt and 2.5 cups of water and secure the pressure cooker lid
  • let cook on medium for 2 whistles or 10 minutes

No comments: