I was at my local market browsing through the salad area and found a small package of sprouted beans - adzuki, lentil and peas. Wow, when did they start selling these? All that protein in a ready made pack. I brought them home and the poor things sat and sat in the veggie bin for over a week. Finally one night, thinking they may not survive any longer, I decided to give them a go.
I wanted to keep the nutrients intact as much as possible, so I decided to give them a quick stirfry. This is what I did, it took about 15 minutes to get it on the table. I would serve this as is, or for a more filling meal, serve it as the star course with some crusty naan, yogurt or rice.
- Heat up some olive oil in a saute pan on medium
- Do a tarka of mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafeotida, let sizzle and pop
- Throw in some curry leaves and the package of sprouts... You can also add a tomato if you want at this point
- Add salt and spices: turmeric powder, black pepper, cumin powder, coriander powder and some red chili powder
- Add a cup of water and stir and let cook on medium for 10 minutes
- Garnish with chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime
The results were absolutely superb! This came out just amazing. It was light and nutty, but at the same time kept me filled for a long time. I will be looking for these all the time now!